Joe Fonseca Writing
I am a PhD Candidate in history at the University of Calgary. I study the modern military history of East Asia. In addition, I also work as a freelance writer in games journalism and narrative fiction. Aside from contributing to several websites that focus on wargames of all stripes, RPGs, and board games, I also co-host a podcast called “Let’s Talk About Wargames” and write tabletop wargame rules and campaigns.
Ongoing Games Journalism
Currently I have a part-time position writing articles for Screenrant.com. The content of the articles vary from game reviews, top # lists and D&D content. If you have interest in reading my work feel free to follow the link below:
My Writing Inspirations
While not a full list of my inspirations, these are some of the things that influence my writing.
- History of Japan from the Sengoku to Showa periods; specifically focusing on Empire, Identity and Gender
- History of Portugal in the Age of Exploration & the Portuguese Empire; specifically colonial expansion and consequences
- History of the British Empire from the 18th to mid 20th century
- Classic Dungeon Crawlers (Gauntlet, Hexen etc.)
- Total War Series
- Paradox Interactive (Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron IV etc.)
- Elder Scrolls Universe: Morrowind, Oblivion etc.
- Old Call of Duty (2003, 2005)
- From Software Games (Sekiro, Dark Souls, Bloodbourne)
- Legend of Zelda & Metroid
- Warhammer Rulebooks & Lore
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- Robert E. Howard
- H.P. Lovecraft
- Frank Herbert
- Joseph Conrad
- Dungeons & Dragons